Student discussion around a table

Student Legal Rights: Right-to-Know Notice

Legal Information

As a university that participates in Title IV federal financial aid programs, and in compliance with the Higher Education Act of 1965 and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, APU is pleased to provide you this list of information about our university.

Listed below are links to the types of information APU is required by law to provide. Should you need more information, please contact the department on whose page the information is listed. You may request a paper copy of this information by contacting those appropriate departments.

The university will, upon written request, disclose to the alleged victim of any crime of violence (as that term is defined in section 16 of title 18, United States Code), or a nonforcible sex offense, the report on the results of any disciplinary proceeding conducted by the university against a student who is the alleged perpetrator of such crime or offense with respect to such crime or offense. If the alleged victim of such crime or offense is deceased as a result of such crime or offense, the next of kin of such victim shall be treated as the alleged victim for purposes of this paragraph.

Voter Registration Information

Azusa Pacific University encourages students to register to vote and make their voices heard by participating in the election process. Doing so is an important part of your rights and responsibilities as an informed and engaged citizen.

The information below will assist you in registering to vote either in California or as a resident of your home state. As a student, you have a constitutional right to register and vote in the place you consider home—whether that’s your parents’ house, your apartment, or your dorm room.

Who Can Vote in California?

The following information is a brief summary, but please consult the resources below for more details.

All registered voters can vote in a primary or general election.

You may register to vote in California if you meet the following criteria:

  • You are a United States citizen.
  • You are residing in California.
  • You are at least 18 years of age (or will be by the date of the next election).
  • You are not in prison or on parole for conviction of a felony.
  • You have not been judged by a court to be mentally incompetent to register and vote.

Learn more about registering to vote in California.

Online Voter Registration Resources

National Mail Voter Registration Form

The National Mail Voter Registration Form can be used to register U.S. citizens to vote, update registration information due to a change of name, make a change of address, or register with a political party.

Important: You must follow the state-specific instructions listed for your state, beginning on page 3 and listed alphabetically by state. After filling out this form, print it out, sign your name where indicated, and send it to your state or local election office for processing. Be sure to mail it in an envelope with the proper amount of postage.

The national form also contains voter registration rules and regulations for each state and territory. For more information about registering to vote, contact your state election office. Read our FAQs about moving and registering to vote and using the National Mail Voter Registration Form.

Download Voter Registration Form

Voter Registration Deadlines

Voting Accessibility

The Help America Vote Act (HAVA) of 2002 was passed by the United States Congress to make sweeping reforms to the nation’s voting process. HAVA addresses improvements to voting systems and voter access that were identified following the 2000 election. Read the Help America Vote Act of 2002 and learn more about HAVA on the Department of Justice website.

Learn more about voting accessibility.

Additional Resources

Voter Registration Disclosure

Voter registration forms made widely available and provided to each enrolled student HEOA Sec. 493(a)(1) amended HEA Sec. 487(a)(23) (20 U.S.C. 1094(a)(23)): added HEA Sec. 487(a)(23)(D) HEOA amendment effective August 14, 2008

FAQs is a great resource for anyone needing to vote overseas. Essentially, the registered voter would obtain an absentee ballot. If you are a California living away from home while attending college, trade school, or technical school, or a voter living temporarily outside the United States, please see College Students and Voters Living Abroad.

As an on-campus resident, you will want to use your campus mailing address.

First and Last Name
PO Box 9521 Unit#____
Azusa, CA 91702

Your polling place should be disclosed to you once you register. However, if you’re still not sure about your local polling place, view the Elections and Voter Information provided by the Secretary of State.

If you receive scholarship money, please confirm that residency in a particular place is not a requirement of the scholarship and/or that voter registration will not affect your eligibility. APU cannot advise you on where your legal place of residence is.

Federal financial aid, including Pell Grants, Perkins and Stafford Loans, Academic Competitive Grants, SMART Grants, and other federal loans generally are not impacted by your place of residence within the United States. Some private scholarships and grants are designated for residents of a particular place, so it is good to check with the administrator of the program to see how they determine residency.

A student’s tuition status can depend on where they are a resident. So yes, where a student resides can affect in-state or out-of-state tuition status.

If your current address does not match your driver’s license, you can register to vote at your new address and the ID and proof of residency requirements with your Secretary of State’s office. You may need to get a new driver’s license.

Where you reside can have an impact on many things, including your taxes, health insurance, identification, and other matters. APU cannot advise you on the outcome, so please check into these matters before you take steps to change your place of residence.