Expanding Cultural Awareness and Inclusion
In support of the university’s broader mission of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, the Student Center for Reconciliation and Diversity (SCRD) designs and implements an array of services and programs that promote equity-minded recruitment and retention, leadership development, identity development, and the pursuit of holistic success of APU’s diverse student population, especially historically underrepresented students. SCRD’s efforts expand identity and cultural awareness for all students, faculty, and staff; promote equity; and model racial reconciliation, unity, and an appreciation of all cultures and nations.
SCRD pursues its mission by:
- Investing in the development of student leaders who serve as catalysts for communication and understanding among people of all racial, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Providing supplemental support and services for ethnic minority students.
- Sponsoring programs and activities that increase awareness of and appreciation for ethnic diversity.
- Supporting student leaders in the development, articulation, and application of their personal and corporate faith in Christ.
- Sponsoring programs and activities that increase internationalization and cultural competency.
- Providing supplemental support and services for international students, third-culture students, and international research scholars.
The SCRD office promotes student development by coordinating annual cultural events, advising ethnic organizations, and advising intercultural groups.
In addition, the SCRD coordinates the Multi-Ethnic Leadership Scholarship Program and Haggard International Scholarship Program, which involve education in leadership, diversity, and discipleship with selected students who become leaders of intercultural understanding and racial reconciliation on our campus and beyond. For more information, visit the Scholarship Opportunities page.
SCRD administers other scholarship programs for the university, and provides information on scholarship, fellowship, and internship opportunities offered by community organizations. The office also sponsors various annual events for the campus, including workshops and diversity/leadership retreats.