Make a Difference as a Video Game Designer with Azusa Pacific’s Game Design Degree
Have you ever been enrolled in a course that required you to build a world in Minecraft? When was the last time an instructor told you to play the latest video games for homework? Does having 24/7 access to the latest game development hardware and software sound appealing? If you have ever considered working on games for a living, then Azusa Pacific’s Bachelor of Arts in Games and Interactive Media is where you can learn what it takes to work in the video game industry.
Learn to build games of all types, benefitting from a well-rounded curriculum that integrates the iterative process of storytelling, game mechanics, art, sound, and more. Study under supportive faculty-mentors who work in the industry, and alongside a collaborative community of students engaged in cinema, animation, art, design, and computer science. Capitalize on the department’s connections with video game companies such as Blizzard, EA, and Square Enix and APU’s proximity to the multimedia industry hub of Los Angeles.
In the games and interactive media program at APU, we are not simply game makers, we are game changers.
- Benefit from a well-rounded education through courses in animation techniques, game theory, programming, story and character development, sound design, and environmental design.
- Engage in ongoing, hands-on learning and create multiple games from inception to completion, building your digital portfolio as you go.
- Gain a deep understanding of the development process, from preproduction to production and postproduction, and beyond.
- Learn to thoughtfully consider how art and culture impact one another and what role the Christian artist plays in the process.
- Develop proficiency in industry-leading game engines, with programming support for distribution on multiple platforms.
- Expand your knowledge of gaming-related topics including game technologies, AI for games, games and learning, games and health, augmented and mixed reality games, and virtual worlds.
Exploring Faith and Influencing Culture
Pursuing a major in APU’s College of the Arts means exploring with diverse individuals the intersection of faith and the arts, fully engaging in various media to tackle some of life’s most complex questions. Learn from faculty with experience living out their Christian faith in the industry as they offer wisdom and mentorship, and create bonds with like-minded students pursuing artistic careers. “Those who tell the stories rule society,” said Plato. At APU, you will find a thriving community of creative students and faculty sharing the goal of becoming great artists who can influence the entertainment industry, and in turn, culture, through stories about beauty, redemption, and what it means to be human.
Prepare for a Game Design Career
The game design industry creates more than $100 billion a year in revenue, and APU’s games and interactive media major prepares students for roles in this influential industry by offering courses beyond the elements of game development, from technology and production to leadership and project management. Additionally, you will graduate with an original “vertical slice” (playable demo showcasing multiple aspects of a game’s mechanics, art, and form) of a game to include in your professional portfolio for use at competitions, festivals, and job interviews.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a games and interactive media major if you:
- Are passionate about telling stories
- Are interested in the intersection of art and interactivity
- Enjoy creating characters and worlds
- Are fascinated by the structure and strategy of video games
- Are skilled at problem solving and creating systems
- Have technical abilities with creative software
Note: This information is current for the 2023-24 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.