Will it cost anything for me to go to the hospital or talk to a counselor?

Many medical and support services are available to you free of charge or at a nominal cost. If you are concerned about medical costs and/or need financial assistance, contact the Student Health Center. Don’t let cost stop you from getting the support you need.

Where is the Office of Women’s Development located?

The Office of Women’s Development is located on East Campus in Building 27, and can be reached at (626) 815-2068.

Where is Campus Safety located?

The Department of Campus Safety is on East Campus, on the first floor of Smith Hall. Contact Campus Safety at (626) 815-5000.

What will happen if I go to the police?

Azusa Pacific encourages anyone who has been a victim of a crime to report to the police. You may have mixed feelings about whether or not to report. You may feel torn about not wanting to do anything and wanting to hold this person responsible so that he or she does not hurt you or anyone else again. You have the option of having an advocate go with you. If you report a sexual assault that occurred on the APU campus, Campus Safety will process the report, provide assistance, and offer related services to support your safety and wellbeing.

If the crime occurred in another jurisdiction, Campus Safety can assist you in accessing assistance in that jurisdiction. If you choose to report to the police, an officer will want to sit with you and ask detailed questions about what, where, when, and how the incident occurred. Many of these questions may be hard to answer and may feel invasive. The police officer will try to get as much information as possible so that he or she can thoroughly investigate the case. If the assault occurred within the past 72 hours, you will also have the option of having a Physical Evidence Recovery Kit (PERK) exam done at the hospital. The police will also interview any other witnesses (this often includes the perpetrator).

Once the police have investigated the case, they will present the evidence to the District Attorney’s office, who will then decide if there is enough evidence to go to court. You have the right to share with the police what you would like to happen during a police investigation.

The Clery Act requires APU’s Department of Campus Safety to provide crime alerts to the community when they learn of a crime that constitutes an ongoing or continuing serious threat to the university community. If a crime alert is issued, your name and personally identifying information will not be released; however, pertinent details about the crime may be released. If you have a question about a crime alert, contact the Department of Campus Safety.

If I was drinking when I was assaulted, will I get into trouble with Student Conduct?

Limited Immunity

The University understands that reporting parties sometimes are hesitant to report because they fear that they themselves may be charged with policy violations, such as underage drinking at the time of the incident.

To encourage reporting, the university pursues a policy of offering reporting parties (and witnesses) limited immunity from being charged with policy violations related to the particular incident. While violations to policy cannot be completely overlooked, the university will in some circumstances recommend sanctions directed toward education and prevention rather than more punitive forms of disciplinary action

If I think I was drugged, what should I do?

Call 911 and then immediately notify the Department of Campus Safety at (626) 815-5000 so that you can obtain medical care right away. If you ask a friend to take you to the nearest hospital, advise the hospital staff that you believe you have been drugged. Ask the hospital to take a urine sample to test for drugs that you didn’t purposely ingest. Tell the staff that you would like them to also test for GHB and Rohypnol in addition to the standard drug screening. Some drugs leave your system quickly. If possible, don’t urinate before going to the hospital.

If you believe you have been sexually assaulted, don’t urinate, douche, bathe, brush your teeth, wash your hands, change clothes, eat, or drink before you go to the hospital. These things may provide evidence of a non-consensual sexual intercourse. The hospital will use a special kit to collect evidence. Call the police from the hospital. Once the police arrive, tell the police exactly what you remember. Be honest about all your activities. Remember, nothing you did — which may include drinking alcohol — can justify non-consensual sexual intercourse.

If you do not want the police involved but want to have the incident documented, you may contact Department of Campus Safety and they will assist you in documenting the incident and arranging for counseling if you wish.

How can I help a friend who was assaulted?

Listen and believe your friend. Assure them what happened wasn’t their fault and keep the information private. For more information on how to help a friend, see Get Involved.

Get Help

Submit a Report

Full Menu