About the Program
The Master of Music Education program:
- Recognizes the need for current teaching professionals to increase their knowledge of choral and instrumental music education.
- Provides a broad core of classes relevant to both instrumental and choral music education, including research methods, musicology, analysis of musical forms and styles, pedagogy, and the philosophical, psychological, social, and historical foundations of music education.
- Trains students to become teaching-scholars so that their teaching methodology is based on current research and learning theory.
- Introduces students to the music and scholarship of non-Western cultures through the visiting scholar program and other multi-cultural experiences.
- Allows for interaction with world-class performers and composers through the Artist Concert Series.
- Encourages a comprehensive approach to music education that integrates the analytical, historical, philosophical, and performance aspects of music.
- Enables students to choose an instrumental or choral emphasis that provides classes designed for those specialized areas.
- Directs the student in the research and writing of a master’s thesis.
- Prepares individuals who wish to pursue doctoral programs.
Master of Music Education students gain a distinct advantage at APU’s School of Music. Customized for current and prospective music educators, this program offers:
- Small classes
- Access to professors
- Interaction with performance groups
- Freedom to integrate faith into music education
- Opportunities in Los Angeles and surrounding cities for full-time, part-time, and substitute teaching jobs for music educators
About Our Students
Average students in the music education degree program are working professionals in their 30s.
At APU, musical scholarship surpasses demonstrated talent to encompass a balance of academic achievement, advanced skills, and spiritual maturity. Because all three aspects comprise the well-rounded musician, the School of Music encourages comprehensive growth. While demanding the highest standards of professionalism, the faculty mentor individuals, inspiring them to reach deeper and further than they imagined.
For the Master of Music Education candidate, that inspiration translates into innovative teaching experiences that transform music education. Music teachers with a foundation that includes theory, the latest technology, and a heightened sense of artistry can better communicate the subtle nuances of music to novice musicians.
Note: This information is current for the 2023-24 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.