General Program Requirements
Length of Program
Two years (four semesters)
- Piano, violin, viola, cello: one 60–70-minute APU solo recital annually
- String bass: one 60–70-minute solo recital annually, or chamber recital
- Winds, brass, percussion: one 60–70-minute APU solo recital annually
Chamber Music Ensemble
- Piano, strings, winds, brass, percussion: one group every semester. Chamber groups receive one hour weekly coaching by faculty.
- Piano: 5-8 hours of accompanying per week as assigned
- Strings: symphony orchestra, studio orchestra, other ensembles as assigned
- Winds, brass, percussion: symphony orchestra, wind ensemble, studio orchestra, other ensembles as assigned
Six 2-hour seminars every semester
All certificate students are to perform a jury at the end of each semester unless a solo recital is performed that semester. Only a full-length solo recital may serve to take the place of a jury.
One major non-APU competition or audition annually is expected. Active participation in pre-professional/professional musical opportunities or other outside performances is strongly encouraged.
Note: This information is current for the 2022-23 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.