Our mission is to create spaces and learning opportunities that promote engagement, wellness, spiritual formation, and diversity in order to support student efforts to become God-honoring difference makers. The Resident Advisor internship provides a living and learning experience for undergraduate students who desire to grow in a unique manner while serving residential students in our on-campus living areas.
The RA experience offers students a live-in leadership position that combines intensive training and practical experience in the areas of interpersonal relationships, counseling referral, confrontation and conflict management, spiritual formation, diversity, personal development, activities programming, and administrative responsibilities. The RA serves as a representative of Azusa Pacific University and is therefore expected to practice the utmost in Christian commitment, character, and integrity with residents, faculty, staff, administration, and those outside the APU community.
While the RA experience is primarily for educational purposes, it is also a student leadership position with certain expectations and requirements. The following list describes the expectations and requirements of the position. Students chosen for the RA experience, and who accept this responsibility, are expected to commit wholeheartedly in each of these areas:
- The RA Internship averages, but may exceed 20 hours of work per week
- Have and maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Adhere to the Student Leadership Covenant and the Resident Advisor Internship Agreement
- RAs should not be present in situations where university policies or laws are clearly being violated (i.e. being present at off-campus gatherings where there is underage drinking occurring)
- Secure the approval of your GRC/AD before involvement in additional campus responsibilities or other employment on or off campus that surpass 15 hours per week, whether paid or voluntary.
- Academic enrollment is to be kept to a maximum of 18 units per semester.
A scholarship will be provided during the course of this internship, covering the full cost of your housing assignment as designated by your RA placement. It will also include the cost of a meal plan classified as “Cougar Plan C”. The scholarship is to be applied to your student account at Azusa Pacific University.
|1-on-1 with GRC||30-45 minutes|
|Living Area Team Staff Meetings||1.5-2 hours weekly|
|RA on Call Responsibilities||1-2 evenings weekly and shared holiday duty on Call|
|Intentional Conversations with Residents||4-6 hours weekly|
|Planning and Implementing Living Area Events||10-12 hours monthly|
|RA Compass and Additional Training and Development||6-8 hours per semester|
|Welcome Weekends and Checkouts||First and last weekends of semester|
Sample time commitment varies pending the needs of your assigned living area. More information about specific details and dates can be found in the Resident Advisor Internship Agreement.
Are you thinking about becoming a resident advisor (RA) next year? Apply online and search for the job posting titled “Resident Advisor.” The application process for the 2023-2024 academic year begins in November 2022. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.