Frequently Asked Questions

What can I do with a TESOL degree?

Myriad career pathways exist for English language teachers who can serve in a variety of sectors and industries. Read more about TESOL career options and see where APU graduates are working.

Can I earn a teaching credential in APU’s TESOL programs?

Yes, the TESOL programs provide the coursework you need to qualify for the California Preliminary Designated Subjects Adult Education Teaching Credential in ESL. You can apply for this credential through the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC). Although it does not require extra coursework beyond the MA in TESOL, you do need to meet the state’s basic skills requirement via testing. View more information from the CTC. Please note, the APU TESOL programs do not currently enable you to earn a California single subject or multiple subject credential.

Are scholarships or other financial aid available?

Yes, TESOL scholarships are available! Scholarship opportunities include:

  • Boyd Clarke International TESOL Student Scholarship (up to $1,000)
  • Charles and Shirley Stapleton Graduate Endowed Scholarship (up to $500)

View all scholarship details and applications. Military education benefits and APU alumni discounts are also available for those who qualify. Explore financial aid opportunities.

What are the prerequisites for the program?

No prerequisite courses must be completed, but courses in English and linguistics are useful. Before graduating, however, you will need to have completed the equivalent of six semester units of college-level foreign language with a grade of B or better, or submit proof that you speak a language other than English at the low-intermediate level or higher on the ACTFL scale. This requirement may be satisfied by language courses taken within 10 years prior to beginning your program at APU or an equivalency option in which you engage in foreign language tutorials, formal classroom instruction, or some kind of intentional, community-based language learning. Equivalency may be demonstrated by passing an oral proficiency interview.

Students are also required to attend a conference related to the field of English language teaching before graduation.

Is the GRE required for admission?


What are the application deadlines?

We have rolling admissions, but you should allow at least one month for your application to be processed from the time that all materials are received, including two recommendations. All materials should be received at the beginning of August for fall admission and by mid-December for spring admission. International applicants should contact the International Center for current deadlines.

How often do I need to log on for the online program?

Students may log on at times that are convenient for them. Classes vary in the number of deadlines per week, but a typical schedule might be an initial post in an online discussion due on Wednesday, a draft writing assignment due on Thursday, and response posts due on Sunday. However, there is no prescribed amount of time that you will be required to be online.

Note: This information is current for the 2023-24 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.

Full Menu