While no prerequisite courses must be completed for the TEFL certification, courses in English and linguistics are recommended. Before graduating, however, you will need to have completed the equivalent of six semester units of college-level foreign language with a grade of B or better. This requirement may be satisfied by language courses taken within 10 years prior to beginning your program at APU.
Admission Requirements—Domestic Applicants
The university graduate and program admission requirements below must be met before an application is considered complete.
Applicants must possess:
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university. Applicants for the TESOL programs are not required to have undergraduate majors in fields such as English, linguistics, or education; however a strong background in one of these is recommended.
- A minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Applicants with a GPA between 2.5-2.99 may be considered for provisional admission.
- A TOEFL score of 600 or above, for nonnative speakers only. Nonnative speakers of English must score 600 or above on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), at least 250 on the computer-based TOEFL or 100 on the IBT, and must pass a test of written English. Applicants who score between 550 and 600 (213-249 on the computer-based TOEFL; 79-99 on the IBT) may be granted conditional admission, but will be required to complete TESL 500 English for Internationals (3 units) during their first semester of graduate work.
Applicants must submit:
- Graduate application for admission
- $45 nonrefundable application fee
- Official transcripts from all institutions leading to and awarding the applicant’s bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and all postbaccalaureate study
An official transcript is one that Azusa Pacific University receives unopened in an envelope sealed by the former institution and that bears the official seal of the college or university. A cumulative minimum 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) grade-point average on the posted degree is required for regular admission status. Provisional admittance may be granted to individuals with a lower GPA if competency can be shown through multiple measures.
- Statement of purpose describing educational and professional goals, including reasons for studying TESOL at APU
- Résumé or statement of experience
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one recommendation should be from a professor or teacher acquainted with the applicant’s academic work.
- TOEFL scores for nonnative speakers of English. Request official TOEFL scores be sent directly to Azusa Pacific University.
Send official transcripts to:Graduate and Professional Center
Office of Graduate and Professional Admissions
Azusa Pacific University
PO Box 7000
Azusa, CA 91702-7000
What to Expect
After all admission materials have been received by the Graduate and Professional Center, the faculty or department chair reviews the applicant’s file. The applicant is notified in writing of the admission decision.
Note: This information is current for the 2023-24 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current Academic Catalog for more information.