The Tutoring Center provides course-specific, one-on-one peer tutoring support for a variety of subjects. We strive to empower our peer leaders and students to become confident, effective, and independent learners through the use of research-based learning strategies.
Looking for help with writing or speaking projects? Try the APU Writing Center.
Tutoring Center Services
One-on-one tutoring is available for many academic subjects, though specific subject areas change each semester based on student demand and the availability of qualified peer tutors; review the list of courses available for tutoring services. Complete the Tutoring Course Request Form if you need tutoring support for a course not offered.
In addition to course-specific tutoring, we offer tutoring in preparation for the ALEKS exam, Microsoft Excel support, and general math and general physics tutoring.
Each semester, specific courses are preapproved for drop-in tutoring at weekly meeting times for group sessions with a designated tutor. View the drop-in tutoring courses schedule.
Schedule an Appointment
One-on-one and group tutoring is available for many graduate and undergraduate academic subjects at APU. Find out if your subject is available for tutoring. Schedule an appointment and learn more about the resources available to you on our Tutoring Center site.
Make your writing or speaking appointment through TutorTrac by following the instructions below:
- Download Firefox or Google Chrome browser.
- Right-click this link and open in a new tab: TutorTrac.
- Log in with your APU ID username ([email protected]) and password.
- Click “Search Availability” on the left side of the screen.
- Using the Center dropdown option, select “Tutoring Center.”
- Using the Section dropdown option, select the course for which you need tutoring. If you do not see the course you are looking for, we do not have an available tutor for that course, but you may fill out the Tutoring Course Request Form to request tutoring for that course.
- Using the Location dropdown option, select the location where you’d like to meet.
- Click “Search” (you do not need to alter the days and times, as they’re automatically set).
- The new webpage will show available tutors and times; select the one that works best for you. If appointments do not show up, try selecting a different location, as availability may vary based on location.
- Enter contact info (required).
- In the Notes section, describe what you want to work on with your tutor.
- Click “Save.”
Staff are available to assist you with questions via email at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often can I meet with a tutor?
You can have up to two appointments per subject per week.
Can I sign up for two tutoring sessions back to back?
Yes, but you will need to sign out and then sign back in between sessions so the system doesn’t mark you absent for the second session.
What should I bring/prepare for a tutoring session?
When you schedule your session, include a note for your tutor about what you want to work on. Come prepared with your books, notes, and any other study materials you need. Calculators, scratch paper, etc., also may be helpful for certain classes.
What do I do if I can’t make my appointment?
If you know that you can’t make your appointment, notify the Tutoring Center as soon as possible.
- If it is more than 1 hour before your appointment, you can cancel through TutorTrac. You can also contact us at (626) 344-2978 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If it is less than 1 hour before your appointment, call, text, or email us. This will be marked as a “late cancellation,” of which you are only allowed two each semester.
Is tutoring free?
Yes, tutoring is 100% free to all APU students.
Where does tutoring take place?
Appointments are available in person on APU’s East Campus (Marshburn Library, Room 134) and West Campus (Segerstrom Science Center, Room 170), and online.
What do I do if there is no tutoring for my class?
You can fill out our Tutoring Course Request Form. We will do our best to match you with a tutor.
What is drop-in tutoring?
Drop-in tutoring is a one-hour, once-a-week, open-invite, course-specific tutoring session in which students may come and go as needed. View our weekly schedule.
Can I contact my tutor outside of my appointment time?
No. Meeting with or contacting your tutor outside of your appointment times is prohibited and may result in restricted access to future scheduling. If you have any questions or would like to book an appointment, contact the Tutoring Center staff.